ICD-10 will be adopted effective October 1, 2014. Preparation for this transition is essential for successful execution of the new code set while maintaining current cash flow.
To support your practice with ICD-10 implementation, the Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA) has created this resource for physician information, recommendations, tips, guidelines, timelines, training and much more.
Provide staff training on the ICD-10 code set and correct application of the guidelines. Introduce Medicare’s General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs) as a possible tool for use when converting practice forms and/or reports. Accurate coding is imperative for successful implementation and appropriate reimbursement.
Have an ICD-10 tip to share or question? Email Jean Stevens firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basic Information and Tips
- ICD-10 Transition – An Introduction
- FAQ’s: ICD-10 Transition Basics
- AHIMA ICD-10-CM/PCS Implementation toolkit
- ICD-10 Basics for Medical Practices
Implementation Timelines, Guides and Related Tools
These documents/guidelines will help you with a roadmap to follow during the transition:
- ICD-10 Implementation Timeline for Large Providers
- ICD-10 Implementation Timeline for Small/Medium Providers
- ICD-10 Implementation Guide for Large Providers
- ICD-10 Implementation Guide for Small/Medium Providers
- Wedi ICD-10 Road Map Tool Kit
- Wedi Large Provider Testing
Education and Training
ICD-10 TRAINING AT YOUR LOCATION OR OURS
An education and training plan is essential for successful ICD-10 implementation. Role-based training using various educational methods will have a major impact on effectiveness. For details on all the OSMA ICD-10 education classes and products, please visit the OSMA Education & Resource Catalog. Additional live classes, webinars and webcasts will be offered in 2014.
ICD-10 Anatomy and Physiology Modules
The OSMA has partnered with the Ohio Health Information Management Association (OHIMA) to provide OSMA members and their staff with discounted access to online anatomy and physiology (A&P) modules. Accurate ICD-10 coding requires a level of competency in knowing the anatomy, physiology and disease process related to the different body systems. These modules will be particularly helpful for staff who have responsibility coding ICD-10 but may benefit from a refresher on any particular body systems. Click here for more details, visit the OHIMA website or email email@example.com
Test Your A&P Knowledge (check back for updated tests!):
Which is correct coding for a patient currently using opioids, with diagnoses of both abuse and dependence?
a. Assign only the code for abuse
b. Assign only the code for dependence
c. Assign codes for abuse and dependence
d. Assign codes for use, abuse and dependence
If the answer didn’t come easy to you, you may want to consider taking the ICD-10 Anatomy & Physiology Modules for Chapter 5 - Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelop Disorders.
Testing for ICD-10 will require the steps necessary to determine if your systems can correctly transmit and receive diagnosis codes. This process will help ensure reimbursement will not be delayed with implementation of the new code set.
- Preparing and Implementing a Comprehensive ICD-10 Testing Strategy
- Wedi Pilot
- CMS End-to-End Testing
Communication and News
Are you ready to transition to ICD-10 on October 1, 2014?
Are you ready for transition to ICD-10 on Oct. 1, 2014? Aug. 30, 2013 MLN Connects™ video
- Sign up for the CMS ICD-10 email updates
- AHIMA ICD-10 E-newsletters
- Preparing for ICD-10 – June 30, 2013
- Preparing for ICD-10-CM in Physician Practices
- MGMA Supports ICD-10 Testing With Outside Organizations - July 24, 2013
- AHIMA ICD-10 Misperceptions, Misinformation, and Misrepresentations - June 20, 201
- Are you ready for transition to ICD-10 on Oct. 1, 2014? Aug. 30, 2013 MLN Connects video
- CMS-1500 Claim Form Updates: Medicare to Accept Revised Form Starting January 2014 - Oct. 24, 2014
Useful Links/ICD-10 in Other Related Industries
- American Health Information Association
- American Hospital Association
- American Medical Billing Association
- HIMSS ICD-10 Playbook
- AAPC Code Translator
- CMS ICD-10
- Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI) ICD-10
- Ohio Medicaid ICD-10
- 2014 ICD-10-PCS root operation tables and resources
Private Payer Links
- Aetna ICD-10 FAQ
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield ICD-10 Updates
- Cigna ICD-10 Compliance
- Humana - prepare now for ICD-10 transition
- United Healthcare ICD-10